Saturday 5 January 2008

Socktastic

As a Christmas present, my kind blogging friend Monkee Maker sent me this very tall sock monkey:


For some reason, she doesn't seem to think he's very good - but the NBM and I both disagree. We like him a lot. And not just because his extraordinarily long tail can be used to turn him into a fearsome Ninja-monkey:

Just call me Rambo

In fact, I liked him so much that I was quickly struck with a strong desire to rush out and buy a pair of colouful socks and attempt to sling together a sock monkey of my own....








... but I didn't. I did, however, purchase a pair of rather dull brown socks for the princely sum of £1 (thank you, Brantano footware sale), and spent last night creating this....













Sock dog sans eyes

Given that we're not exactly short of monkeys at our place, I thought I'd ring the changes with a sock dog. He's all done apart from some eyes (I can't find my buttons), and probably a collar - I'm thinking red. I followed a pattern from some pdfs I found here (although I think the pattern is a Martha Stewart thing originally).

So, it's all about the socks round our place at the moment.

Best Buddies


Now, I really must find those buttons so I can create the dog some eyes...

World's worst watch-dog overcome by striped bandit


8 comments:

Mrs Moog said...

I think there's going to be a lot of sock critter going's on very soon. I have a couple of pairs ready and waiting and I know a certain Locket may be planning to enter this brave new world too!!

Love the Ninja look and I agree he's actually very cool :)
Lesley xx

Totty Teabag said...

News Flash:

Blind Brantano bitch seeks buttons stolen by striped simian. Said simian known to be a member of a gang that hangs out on MM's coat rack. Approach with caution...

Locket Pocket said...

I think MM's sock monkey is gorgeous - so much so that I went out yesterday and bought not one, but 11 pairs of stripy socks so that I could make a similar monkey whenever the fancy took me! Unfortunately I now need to go and buy brown socks too so I can make some sock dogs! Dohhhhh! Lucy x

Monkee Maker said...

Oh my God!! He looks EVEN LONGER in your picture than I thought he was!!!

Loving the Ninja look though. .... obviously I was thinking of just that when I carefully crafted him ....

And thanks very much. No really, cheers. Thanks for making him look even worse .... if that's possible .... with that cute socky doggy. Can't wait to see him with eyes.

:)

ps. Popped into Pieminister after work today (I know - on a saturday - there's no justice!) and had a Merry Berry and Turkey pie with mash and groovy. Yummy)

trash said...

Word verification stands for:
Yes Vicious Chicken - Canine Wonderful.

No, eye-wonder what can be going on here? Ninja monkey mugs guide dog?!

Melissa J. Lee said...

I don't understand why MM doesn't think he's a good gift, either. That monkey has a lot of personality! (So does your dog, you talented person, you.)

Munkeh said...

the stripey guy still frightens me but the socky dog is wonderful. I love his little "tucked" nose!

lauren bergold said...

how can MM not looooooove said stripey sock simian??! even the equally awesome eyeless argyle airedale* can see how cool he is!!!

(i guess now we know how MM conquered that sock mountain, eh?!) ;)

*i LOVE his paws, especially! :)