Thursday 31 January 2008

We axe for what we want

The Vikings were alive and well in a small corner of Bristol last night, when I hosted a tribute to Up Helly-Aa... or Up Hell's Alley Without a Fire Extinguisher, as somebody re-christened it (you know who you are)... which is really quite apt and has been making me giggle every time it comes to mind :o)

Thankfully, no extinguishers were needed: the Vikings-in-residence were very well-behaved, and the burning of the cardboard 'galley' (handmade by Mr Newlywed) went off without a hitch - nay, nor even so much as a single singed beard hair. Phew. Although there was one slightly nerve-wracking moment when a guest attempted to put out the final embers with the dregs from his glass of highly flammable whisky... Hmm.

Before...

... During...

... During again, this time more energetically...

... and After.

So, a good time was had by all (I think). And just before I move off the topic, a quick update for all you beard-fans out there: there was some passable beardage on display amongst the guests, but no-one else had knitted themselves any Instant Whiskers. Funnily enough. They did, however, appreciate laugh at my own attempt... but one guest asked if the beard could magically morph into a monkey, à la the cars/robots in Transformers. I despair, I really do: you give people the world, and they ask for the moon on a stick.

Not a monkey; but very cosy on a winter's night


Finally, on a completely unrelated note, Waldorf would like to say thanks so much to everyone who has entered my 100th Post Giveaway - he's been quite overwhelmed by the number of commenters who are willing to give him a safe new home. If you haven't entered yet, there's still plenty of time: just leave a comment on this post before Sunday evening.

Wanted: new owner for one small monkey. Fully housetrained. May smell slightly of tea.



12 comments:

Mrs Moog said...

So glad your Viking celebration went without a hitch and most impressed with the realistic Viking Longboat :)

Fingers crossed for the big giveaway - we like tea-scented Monkees hereabouts!!

xx

Locket Pocket said...

NO! Much as I love Lesley, Waldorf really needs to travel much further north!!!

Your beard looks very glamorous by the way!

Lucy x

Patti said...

Glad to see the beard didn't get singed in any way during all those pyrotechnics.

Hah - just noticed "singe" is french for "monkey" (I think, and now hope). So you could have transformed your beard into a french monkey by putting it in the flames. (good grief, I get more geeky by the day)

Would have been a shame though. And probably would not have smelled very nice.

Unknown said...

What a lovely bearded lady. Anyone laughing was just jealous, ignore them.

trash said...

Is this the suburban version of pushing a longboat out to sea during a viking funeral? Ingenious use of the barbeque by Mr.Newlywed I think.

As for young Master Waldorf may I suggest a lovely hilltop outlook with a Westerly aspect in SW Engerland? Not even the Vikings made it up here!

Kitty said...

Glad you had a wonderful time - I'm still sniggering every time I think of your handknitted beard - I think it's going to be one of the blogging highlights of 2008.

Take care. x

Monkee Maker said...

Hmmm, while I think that Mr Newlywed's galley is .... make that 'was' .... truly fabulous, it seems to me that this little shin-dig was just a rouse for a good old outside whiskey drinking sesh.

(And for you to make like a Viking, natch)

Phew! I'm relieved to hear that an extinguisher wasn't needed, but I sincerely hope that you had a teetotal flourescent jacketed fully trained fire steward standing by at all times. Just incase.

:)

Charlie P said...

Heh heh, I LOVE the beard! And I'm beginning to think there's a link between Brisol and monkey makers...Waldorf is fab :)
Thanks so much for visiting The Pigeon Loft - I tried to reply to your comment and Spanish internet wouldn't let me but it's ok because I'm home now and can happily explore your blog without waiting 30mins for each page to load! Love all your work and am rather envious of the instant whiskers! x

tintocktap said...

Now there's one my son really would appreciate - a Transformers knitted beard!

Will you be continuing to promote the knitted beard as 'the' 2008 winter accessory for the rest of the winter? Or is it just that you've got a thing about Vikings? Or beards even?

Anonymous said...

I love the knitted beard. How inventive. Waldorf could almost be picked up by hand he's so near me!

lauren bergold said...

so you're saying that the infinitely WISE folk who decided to put the fire out with *WHISKEY* are the same ones who laughed at your gloriously vikingesque facial hirsutitude??!

surely not.

(excellent longboat, btw. well done, mr. newleywed!)

Anonymous said...

I should like to rescue Waldorf from that teacup. Perhaps he would like to try a coffee cup for a change.
Pat